Recipes, Weekend Recaps

Weekend Recap

I don’t know about where you are, but here in New England that was a HOT weekend! My poor flowers didn’t like the heat wave that came through and I think they are struggling now. I see some of them starting to pop up that I planted, but I also saw one bulb dug up and some animal droppings in the flower bed, which did not make me happy to say the least. Luckily I didn’t spend too much money on them as it was an experiment and if it doesn’t work then I didn’t lose out on much.

Ok to the weekend now though, Friday night was a date night where the boy took me to hibachi. I had mentioned in a conversation that we were having that I have never been, so he offered to take me as our date night. We plugged the address into the GPS and started on our way, about two minutes before we reached our destination he realized that the GPS was taking us to a mall. I thought it was funny, he wasn’t very amused though and I could tell was a little upset. The place wasn’t in the food court or anything though and it was a nice restaurant. The name was Tokyo Steakhouse  and the food was really good. I ate almost everything that they put on my pate, and they must have filled it one and a half times. The meal started out where you picked your protein that the chef would cook and ordered your drinks. I got a glass of Malbec and chose the surf and turf, the Malbec was so smooth and I really enjoyed it.

 Then a version of wonton soup was sent out, I ate almost all of mine since wonton soup is my favorite, plus this one had huge mushrooms floating around in it which made it even better.

 Next came a salad that was similar to the salads I get when I order sushi, except they were a little too heavy handed with the dressing and I kept having to shake off the dressing before I took a bite.

Then the chef came over and started making the rice by doing some tricks with an egg. He wasn’t a very good aim when it came to getting pieces in the guests mouth though as the boyfriend got it thrown at him three times before he said enough.

After he plated our rice he started working on the vegetables. There were a ton, but my favorite was the volcano he made out of a large section of onion.

The last part was the proteins that he cooked for us. I thought everything was good, not great like a seafood or steak house but good enough and the show made up for it.

Saturday day was a wash as I had to go up to Vermont for my great uncles memorial service. It was perhaps one of the hottest days too and before noon I was soaked through my dress. It was good to see my aunts, grandparents, father and brother and I even got to meet my brothers girlfriend. The boyfriend was very sweet and came up as well even though I told him he didn’t have to. He got to meet a bunch of the family though which was nice. The two highlights of the day were the little caterpillar I found walking around the grass, and finding FavReds Starbursts.

Though I thought it was just going to be the red ones taken out of the original pack and not new flavors put in. It wasn’t worth it as I’m not a fan of the new flavors so I still have to pick some out.

When we got back to my boyfriends place he offered to make Tacos for dinner. After being out in the hot sun all day, driving 2.5 hours each way and then making me dinner I would have to say I have one of the best boyfriends. Who also makes a killer taco, I went taco monster on him and ended up eating 3/4 of everything. He got two in and then I ate the rest.

My job was to drink the wine

one of the 7 I demolished

While watching the Bruins game he spilled red wine all over his white shirt, which is when I stepped in to clean it up. I looked online and there was stuff about putting salt on it then cold water rinse so I did that first, and it didn’t work. Then I tried the club soda method and that didn’t work. Finally I went with the method I used to clean up my bed when the kitten was learning how to litter train. It is baking soda and bleach or if it is a color then try hydrogen peroxide first. Just put the baking soda on the stain and then take a paper towel and wet it with the bleach and blot the stain out. Worked perfectly and you can’t even tell there was a stain there to start with. He was so happy because it was a brand new shirt.

Sunday morning we woke up and he took me to Irish Breakfast. I can’t say it was what I was expecting, but it wasn’t as weird as I was expecting either so that was a relief. I found out I loved white pudding, and I love brown bread but you can keep the black pudding and the Irish bacon, I’m not a huge fan.

Since we were both beat from the day before and probably still overheated we went to his mom’s house and swam in her pool for the afternoon. It was so relaxing and her house is so beautiful, my favorite part was meeting the two Bernese Mountain Dogs. I might already have a favorite, but it is just because he looks like a huge bear and is so gentile.

That evening we went home and since we had both been eating junk all weekend I decided to just make salad and garlic bread and not the chicken parm that I had taken the chicken out to make. I wanted to try and make the garlic bread by scratch and it turned out very good, the boyfriend would have rather had white instead of wheat bread, but it was still really good.

Clove before going in to roast

Garlic Bread
1 Loaf
  • 1 large or 2 small heads of garlic
  • 2 TB of Olive Oil
  • 1 Stick of Butter Softened
  • 1 Loaf of Italian Bread
  • 1 Tsp of Basil
  • 1/4 Tsp of Oregano
  • 1/4 Tsp of Garlic Powder
  • Salt and Pepper
Start off by preheating the oven to 400 degrees. While that is heating up take your full head of garlic and pull the outside skin off but make sure to keep the head of garlic intact by not separating the cloves. Cut the top of the garlic head off about a half an inch down depending on the size of the garlic head so the tops of the cloves are exposed and then place them on a sheet of tinfoil cover with olive oil and salt and pepper. Close up the foil and place in the oven for 35 minutes. Remove garlic and let cool slightly so you can handle it, while it is cooling take the butter, basil, oregano and garlic powder and put them into a bowl. Squeeze the roasted garlic out of the cloves into the butter mixture taking caution that the skin doesn’t come out too and then mix all ingredients together. Cut the Italian Bread in half down the side and cover both sides with the butter mixture and then put back together and cover with foil. Place in the oven at 400 or 350 whichever suits you and how crunchy you like your bread and bake for 20 minutes. Let cool slightly and serve. 
This is so good and it makes me feel so much better making my own as I know exactly what went into it. 
I hope everyone had a great weekend and stayed cool if you were in the heat wave!
What do you do when it is too hot out?
I normally go and lay by a pool or near the ocean. I get headaches and way too tired if I can’t be near either. 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s